Some Studies Suggest Spirulina May Help.
3 grams of spirulina = 3 Kilos of Mixed Fruit and Vegetables! Seriously!
Nutritionists and Doctors encourage us to to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. To exercise too. Cancer Research UK say, that exercise helps to prevent 13 different types of cancer. Whilst eating fruit and vegetables, according to Cancer Research UK, may also help, with “a small protective effect against cancer”. We know from scientists, that 3 grams of spirulina is the equivalent of eating 3 kg of mixed fruit and vegetables, check the video in this click through.
Spirulina Contains Some Powerful Anti-Oxidative Properties
Spirulina contains some wonderful anti oxidative properties that help the body to seek out and eradicate free radicals and so help the body to reduce oxidative stress. The antioxidant/anti-inflammatory activity of Spirulina has been tested in a large number of pre-clinical animal studies,” (2) (3) and show that “Spirulina activates cellular antioxidant enzymes”.
Spirulina Supports Your Body to Eliminate Harmful Molecules
In plain language, the studies suggest that spirulina supports your body to eliminate harmful molecules. This helps to reduce the risk of damage to your cells and so reduce the risk of damage to cells, that might otherwise lead to cancer*.
However, please carefully note, we are not suggesting it will cure cancer, but it might, along with a healthy diet and lifestyle, help to reduce your risk. Its got to be worth a try to help right?
The Importance of Using Good Quality Spirulina
We discuss the importance of using quality spirulina throughout our site. However, if you are planning to use it, to try to mitigate or lower the risk of cancer (or indeed any other condition)*, we cannot emphasise enough, the importance of using quality spirulina. You can learn more on our history of spirulina page, along with some suggestions on how much to take.
The same history page highlights other conditions where spirulina is best avoided. But do check with your Doctor, to ensure he/she gives you the green light, even if in your case, or of that of a loved one, it may only be to enhance your nutrition. Its great nutrition for adults and children alike.
Spirulina Helps To Protect The DNA Molecule
Spirulina and Whey protein has been found in an animal study (4) to inhibit DNA damage.
“Oxidative stress is known to damage the DNA molecule, alter signalling pathways, & regulate progression of various cancers, including cancers of the brain, breast, colon, liver, lung, ovary and prostate” (5). Studies have found that Oxidative stress, can interfere with your DNA and can lead to cancer. Overeating may generate free radicals, & so elevate oxidative stress. Obesity is also highlighted as a risk. (5). Studies (11) have indicated that Spirulina is a “master antioxidant” helpful in reducing free radicals.
Is Spirulina a Cure?
Is Spirulina a cure? No, but studies (2, 3, 4) suggest it might help to prevent and possibly mitigate symptoms. Due to logistics problems with cancer patients, few human cancer prevention trials exist. However, a studies (6 – paragraph 2.5), (7), (8) involving hamsters demonstrated how 45% of them saw complete regression of leukoplakia – (a condition that can develop into mouth cancer over time) (9) , “after taking Spirulina supplements for 1 year”.
Breast Cancer – Spirulina May Help
Research (1) from 2013 into breast cancer suggested that spirulina combined with selenium was found to be helpful in inhibiting growth.*
The anti-cancer activity of spirulina is also discussed in this Korean study (13) looking at spirulina grown in deep sea water. “It was found that the spirulina extract, effectively suppressed the expression of certain cells, as well as inhibiting various human cancer cells”.
Pre – Oral Cancer Conditions – How Spirulina Helps
A 1995 a study (12) of 44 chewers of tobacco in India taking just 1 gram of spirulina a day, over a 1 year period. 45% of them experienced complete regression of lesions. And complete regression was seen in 16 of 28 (57%) cases with homogeneous leukoplakia. Improvements were also seen in a few (not all) of the cases of erythroplakia
and verrucous leukoplakia.
May Prevent Skin Cancer (But hey, still use sunscreen in the sun!)
Researchers from Japan and Indonesia conducting an animal study (10) in (2014) into the effects of spirulina with ultra violet light , found how “dietary” spirulina “suppressed tumor induction and development” with skin tumors; commenting that “UVB-induced skin tumor development, was significantly suppressed by dietary Spirulina”.
This is very encouraging news for those who live in regions with high UV such as the Southern Hemisphere or people who are susceptible to skin cancer and is yet another good reason to include spirulina in your diet. But please, just because you are consuming spirulina regularly, doesn`t mean you should forget to put on plenty of sunscreen or wear a hat, top or a shirt, when you are on the beach or in the sun, as the researchers did not find that it prevented all tumors! But it definitely helped!
This video further highlights the benefits cancer researchers have found:
We hope you find this collation of research and links to studies helpful. Obviously, prevention is better than cure. Whilst we would not wish to suggest that spirulina is a cure for cancer, it certainly appears to be a helpful tool in terms of mitigation and prevention (& perhaps in early cases of certain cancers). So as if we needed another reason to include spirulina in our diet, common sense suggests, it is yet another reason for doing so! If nothing else, the intense nutrition may help you and your body at such a stressful time. Please remember, that spirulina is a superfood, not a medication. It needs to be taken regularly over a period of time to see an effect. You should also check with your doctor that it is appropriate in your case, as there are certain conditions where you should not take spirulina.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can check our FAQs for any other questions you may have. Please feel free to drop us a line via a comment below and we will be happy to try and advise.
How Much To Take?
A common question we are asked, is how much to take. Please check our click through
Where to Buy?
In the USA/Canada/Worldwide, E-Vitamins are very good suppliers of quality spirulina. If you are in the UK, E-Vitamins are a good supplier but you may also wish to check Whole Foods. They both sell spirulina powder and both have regular turnover. Shelf life really matters with spirulina, which can sometimes be an issue even with large online companies. E-Vitamins and Whole Foods are specialist suppliers.
(1) Simultaneous Inhibition *f Cell-Cycle, Proliferation, Survival, Metastatic Pathways & Induction of Apoptosis in Breast Cancer Cells by a Phyt*chemical Super-C*cktail
(2) The antioxidant, immunomodulatory, & anti-inflammatory activities of Spirulina: an *verview. Qinghua Wu, Lian Liu, Anca Mir*n , Blanka Klím*vá , Dan Wan, Kamil Kuča
(3) Hypolipidemic, antioxidant, & anti-inflammatory activities *f microalgae Spirulina. Ruitang Deng, Te-Jin Chow
(4) Modulation of DNA damage & alteration of gene expression during aflatoxicosis via dietary supplementation of Spirulina & Whey protein concentrate – Aziza M Hassan, Sekena H Abdel-Aziem, Mosaad A Abdel-Wahhab
(5) Correlation between Oxidative Stress, Nutrition, & Cancer Initiation. Subbroto Kumar Saha, So* Bin Lee, Jihye W*n, Hye Yeon Ch*i, Kyeongseok Kim, Gwang-Mo Yang, Ahmed Abdal Dayem, & Ssang-go* Cho*
(6) Spirulina in Clinical Practice: Evidence-Based Human Applications, P. D. Karkos, S. C. Leong, C. D. Karkos, N. Sivaji, & D. A. Assimakopoulos
(7) Tumor necrosis factor in experimental cancer regression with alphatocopherol, beta-carotene, canthaxanthin and algae extract. G Shklar , J Schwartz
(8) Regression of experimental hamster cancer by beta carotene & algae extracts. J Schwartz, G Shklar
(9) NHS – www.nhs.uk/conditions/leukoplakia/
(10) Inhibitory effects of dietary Spirulina platensis on UVB-induced skin inflammatory responses & carcinogenesis
(11) Protective effect *f aqueous extract from Spirulina platensis against cell death induced by free radicals Wan-Loy Chu, Yen-Wei Lim, Ammu Kutty Radhakrishnan, & Phaik-Eem Lim
(12) Evaluation *f chemoprevention *f oral cancer with Spirulina fusiformis B Mathew, R Sankaranarayanan, P P Nair, C Varghese, T Somanathan, B P Amma, N S Amma, M K Nair
(13) Enhancement of Immune Activation Activities of Spirulina maxima Grown in Deep-Sea Water
Woon Yong Choi,1 Do Hyung Kang, & Hyeon Yong Lee
*Please see our “About” page.
*Nothing on this website should be interpreted as personal medical advice. Always consult a qualified Doctor or health care professional before changing anything related to your healthcare.