Spirulina Significantly Reduces Dental Plaque and Gingivitis!
A 2017 study (1) involving 30 patients in India, found that a spirulina mouthwash, significantly reduced dental plaque and gingivitis.*
What is Gingivitis?
According to the Mayo Clinic, Gingivitis is a common and mild form of gum disease. But Gingivitis has been linked to Alzheimer’s Disease. See below for details of the possible link between Gingivitis and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Prevention – Spirulina as Part of The Prevention
Prevention is obviously better than cure. In order to prevent Gingivitis, that can lead to inflammation of the gums, and can ultimately progress to periodontitis and even tooth loss, toothpaste manufacturers, recommend regular brushing with their particular brand of toothpaste. According to the 2017 study (1), Spirulina appears to help reduce dental plaque and gingivitis. And if you take spirulina as a superfood supplement, it will also give you a boost in natural vitamins, protein, and minerals such as calcium that are important for bone and teeth health.
Concerned About Gingivitis?
If you are concerned about Gingivitis, you might wish to try spirulina
as part of your treatment, by taking the superfood as a supplement and by using a mouth wash that contains spirulina. A simple homemade recipe to make a spirulina mouthwash is below.
If you have Gingivitis, you would be well advised to take steps to treat it. You should, of course, check with your doctor or dentist but Spirulina is also packed with nutrition and it could be a natural way to help you overcome gingivitis. Whatever you do, please make sure you do get it sorted out, or it might lead to more serious health issues.*
Gingivitis linked to Alzheimer’s
Beyond being a great superfood supplement in terms of nutrition, we know from other research, that Spirulina also appears to be supportive with brain and cognitive health. Ever since I have taken spirulina regularly, I no longer have brain fog and I find I am thinking much more clearly and quicker, than I used to.
Spirulina is Loaded with Calcium and Phosphorous
Spirulina is high in calcium and phosphorous. Did you know that phosphorous is the second most common mineral in the body? Calcium and phosphorous are known to strengthen teeth and improve gum health.
Spirulina is rich in protein and this amazing superfood is also loaded in calcium. Gram for gram, it contains more calcium than milk does! As you may have heard before, calcium is important for bones, including teeth. Also, neural transmissions to muscles. Its known that women with calcium deficiencies can possibly lead to osteoporosis in older women. (2) . Calcium is known to be important to help prevent osteoporosis and bone disease, as it is regarded as an important building-block for our bone tissue. Spirulina is packed with calcium.
If you would like to try some spirulina, we advise you to select the spirulina carefully. The reasons for this explained in our history of spirulina page. You may also wish to check our FAQs to see what other conditions ,that well selected spirulina might help you with. There are one or two conditions where its best to avoid spirulina, which we highlight in this click through.
Here is a suggestion to make a simple spirulina mouthwash
What You Need:
- ½ cup mineral, clean or distilled water
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of spirulina powder.
- A glass bottle with a lid
1. Use a funnel and pour all of the ingredients into the bottle.
2. Shake the bottle to mix together all of the ingredients and pour a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) into a cup. Place the mouthwash in your mouth and swish around for about 60-90 seconds.
- Spit the mouthwash into a sink and brush your teeth as normal.
Do not swallow the mouthwash.
However, we do recommend that in addition to the mouthwash, that you also take spirulina tablets.*
Where to Buy?
- In the USA/Canada/Worldwide, E-Vitamins are very good suppliers of quality spirulina. If you are in the UK, E-Vitamins are a good supplier but you may also wish to check Whole Foods. They both sell spirulina powder and both have regular turnover. Shelf life really matters with spirulina, which can sometimes be an issue even with large online companies. E-Vitamins and Whole Foods are specialist suppliers.
How Much To Take?
A common question we are asked, is how much to take. Please check our click through
Frequently Asked Questions
You may wish to check our FAQs for any other questions you may have. Please feel free to drop us a line via a comment below and we will be happy to try and advise.
- (1) EFFECTIVENESS OF SPIRULINA MOUTHWASH ON REDUCTION OF DENTAL PLAQUE AND GINGIVITIS: RADHIKA MANIYAR & UMASHANKAR G. K. Dept., of Public Health Dentistry, M R Ambedkar Dental College & Hospital, Bangalore, India.
- (2) Spirulina World Food by Robert Henrikson
- (3) “Gingivitis in Alzheimer’s diseased brains” Stephen S. Dominy, Casey Lynch, Ermini, Malgorzata Benedyk, Agata Marczyk, Andrei Konradi
*Please see our “About” page.
*Nothing on this website should be interpreted as personal medical advice. Always consult a qualified Doctor or health care professional before changing anything related to your healthcare.